“History of The Craigelachie Lodge from 1893”
This Lodge originated in a representation made to the Grand Lodge of Scotland in
1811 by Master Masons, Members of different Lodges-
The future prosperity of the Lodge casts an undying lustre on the business capacity
of the fifteen who met for the first time under the shadow of the Cairn-
The marvellous success of the craft was, no doubt. due to the election of the Right Hon. the Earl of Seafield as Grand Master of the Lodge, on 10th January, 1815 which Office the noble Chief continued to hold and adorn till 1851, a period of 36 years.
By 26th February, 1816, there were some 14 Master Masons in the Lodge, who were Royal Arch Masons in other Lodges, and these, having made due arrangements, met and opened the Lodge in the Royal Arch Degree, after which 16 Members were initiated and others proposed. A few were yearly admitted to the Excellent Degrees till 1822, by which time there were upwards of 100 Royal Arch Masons in the Lodge.
Freemasonry was a great institution in Strathspey for a time, but after 1830 fewer
Members seem to have joined , and the attendance began gradually to fall off. This
may be partially accounted for by the fact that the inrush of Members induced by
the Chief`s becoming Grand-
Mr James Findlay, a son of the Secretary and only Member of the old Lodge now living,
had gone abroad, carrying the Charter with him; in 1881, and found that all the property
had disappeared, except the Mason Box and Lodge ledger. After the dissolution of
the Lodge, in 1854 Freemasonry was defunct in Grantown till 1883, when a representation
was made, much in the same manner as 1811 to the Grand Lodge of Scotland for the
Rev. J. M'COWAN, Chaplain. 1893.